Having a kayaking getaway checklist is essential for your safety as well as comfort. It necessary to pack things that might come in handy during emergency. Kindly keep in mind that the kind of gear that you will carry will depend on the weather, type of water, trip duration, and distance. If your kayaking trip is long, you will need more supplies, if the weather is bad, you will need more serious equipment. If your looking at inflatables, be sure to check out these inflatable kayak reviews. Open waters will require navigational gear, while river water will require more protective equipment.
The following is a Kayaking Getaway Checklist.
1. Basics- Paddles, kayak, spray skirt, VHF radio, float tubes, paddle float, tow line, paddle leash, extra PFD, bilge pump
2. Clothing- Waterproof gloves, rain shell, rain pants, Drysuit/wetsuit, balaclava, rash guard, convertible pants, sandals, mittens, jacket, dry bags, swim suit, helmet
3. Essentials-Water bottles, sunscreen, matchbox/lighter,multi-function watch, cell phone, lip balm
4. Safety gear- Navigation equipment, throw bag, emergency numbers, communication device, first aid supplies, water treatment device/powder/liquid
5. Camping- Sleeping bag, Food supplies, toiletries, stove, dustbin, pots, pans, plates, cups, spoons, forks, knives, torch, pcord, water, energy bars, beverages,
6. Repair kit- Putty, duct tape, sealant, bungee cords, spare boat parts, bailing wire
After gathering all your equipment, pack it in a way that will allow you to retrieve quickly any item that you might need. Nothing is as exhausting as turning a boat inside out looking for just one thing. A good idea is to pack your bags based on similar uses and then create a checklist for each bag. For instance, put all your clothes in one bag, food in another, etc. Next, use a waterproof marker to label all your bags. Ensure that your checklist is within reach in case you need it.
The final step is to load the boat. Ensure that you distribute the weight evenly. The bags that you need frequently should be close to the hatches while essential things like first aid equipment should always be near the cockpit for easier access. Do not overload your deck, to prevent your boat from being too heavy.
Please put in mind that most kayaking companies are not accountable for any stolen goods. It is, therefore a good idea to be sensible when packing. Kindly leave things like laptops, jewelry, tablets safely at home. Omitting the items will save you the trouble of having to worry about their theft. With peace of mind, you are bound to have the time of your life while on your kayaking trip.